CHIPPLE PIE


CHIPPLE PIE


Another traditional Cornish pie dish. I took this recipe from the ladies of the WI, although I am sure there are other versions out there. I will look forward to hearing about them! For the uninitiated, Chipples are what our forebears called Spring Onions [Scallions] or very young shallots.

For the authentic look, you do need a proper metal pie plate, easily available these days as retro seems to be popular. A pie plate is very handy in your cupboard as they do make great pies [lovely for an apple pie]. They cook the base so well and you won’t get a soggy bottom with a pie plate!

Pre heat your fan oven to 200C. Butter your pie plate.

Shortcrust pastry. Of course you can buy some in Sainsburys, but make sure it is all butter. I never rub in these days, too many arthritic finger joints and happily use a food processor. It takes but a minute.

8 oz plain flour
4 oz cold butter
pinch salt and white pepper
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoon cold water
I also added half a teaspoon dry mustard powder

Pulse the butter and flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg and water and continue until it starts to form a ball. Bring together on your work top and chill in the fridge for ten mins.

Spring Onions - I used 12 large, chopped
Diced streaky bacon [I used half smoked half plain]
3 eggs


Line the bottom of your tart plate with half of your pastry. Fill with chipples [chopped spring onions, including the green parts as well as the white - not the tough top bits] and then place pieces of diced streaky bacon [or green bacon] amongst the chipples. Season with pepper and a touch of salt - not too much and add two or more beaten eggs. I dotted some tiny knobs of butter. Cover with the remainder of your pastry. Make a slit on the top, brush with beaten egg and bake in a moderate oven for 45 minutes. I turned down my oven to 190C after 15 mins. More photos on my Blog.

Have I mentioned that our ancestors knew about baking? My husband loved it.

Note: I had to guess the quantities, as per, and used about 6-7 oz of bacon. 
 




Comments